We inherited chickens from a friend, but needed a coop. He had a box that came off a box truck that was set up inside for chickens. Perfect, but ugly! So we set out to make it perfect, while being perfectly cheap.
We priced wood to cover it and that was well over $500, so I didn’t want to spend that on it, just for the wood. Remembering we had just torn down an old barn, we decided to use the tin from the roof.
Using all reclaimed wood, tin and a few windows, the process began.
First some windows had to be cut in for circulation.
Next came the roof. Tim added a gable roof and it was covered with the old barn tin.
Walls and a door were added to the back and the truck lights were taken off. Facia board was nailed under the roof.
Next came the decision of what color to paint. Of course, barn red! Oh my was it red when we started, but dried to the rusty brown red that is seen on the old barns across the country.
Now for the fun stuff! I kept telling everyone the coop has to be “Pinterest” perfect. Tim added window trim, a fun old gate, and flower boxes.
Nathan started working on the perfect sign while I gathered some garage sale and other picked items for the walls.
New boxes were added inside, and new roosting boards
Up until now we had spent a total of $80 for paint and screws. Not bad!
The largest expense was for two rolls of fence for a very large area for the chickens to roam. It is mostly shaded and partly in the woods.
We have plans for the side wall, but for now we added big stump, flowers, old signs, a big new sign, happy chickens, Pinterest perfect!