I bought this coffee table at a garage sale last year for $10. I liked the iron legs, and the top was okay. It had a varnished, shiny rust colored top. I wanted it to look old, and considered topping it with pallet wood, but just figured I would use what I had!
I sanded it 60 grade sandpaper until all the finish was off. Then came the fun part! It was very smooth and perfect and that isn’t what I wanted. So with no plan, I just started roughing it up. I used nails and screws in a pile and placed a board over them and step on it. I used a long threaded rod, laid it down flat and hammered and rolled it at the same time. I also rubbed the rod on the edge to rough it up and make it not so straight.
I used a paint can opener to make scrapes and scratches, and nail holes to look like termite holes in old wood! My favorite was a air pump needle. I used the threaded part on top and hammered it while I rolled it and it make little fossil looking marks.
I wanted each slat to look like individual boards, so I make them different colors. The darker boards were stained with Ebony black and wiped within a few minutes. I then added Dark Walnut and wiped that in a few minutes. Sometimes I went back with more Ebony and hit the holes and screw marks so they really stood out.
The lighter boards were done the same way except I wet the board first before staining with the ebony so it was more gray, less black. I then added Natural stain, which made it much lighter.
One of the boards was done the same way with Ebony, then I added Gunstock, which gave it a warm more red color. I then just added the Gunstock on the other boards in small areas where I wanted to warm it up some.
I wanted to add some color like might be on a pallet, so I added some blue wall paint. (I knew I was going to be painting a wall in my room, so I thought it might be a great accent). I then sanded the edges and made the paint lighter and darker in areas by sanding to make it look old and weathered.
I used three coats of water based polyurethane, lightly sanding in between coats. I really like the way it turned out!
I then painted my wall Colonial Aqua, which was a stretch for me! Here is the room after a first coat. It’s growing on me …..
NOTE: Everything in this room (except the Hoosier cabinet) was free or inexpesnsive from garage sales!